I should have known I’d get into furniture painting eventually. When my husband and I were first married, we did a few painting projects. We mostly used old furniture from his parents and just spray painted it, but it was still better than what we started out with! This old entertainment center is one of those original pieces. We had always planned on doing an armoire makeover on it, but never got around to it. We kept it in our basement for years and this week I finally gave it the makeover it deserved!
Here’s what it looked like before. This is after we spray painted it black. I think we used it as an actual entertainment center for a short time in our basement at this house, but we never hung out down there (which is finally changing!), so we took the tv out and just shoved this in the corner.
My first step was to cover the whole piece with a coat of Chalk Paint®. At this point, I was thinking of just painting it with chalk paint, but once I got one coat on, I started heading in a different direction. I don’t know why, I just changed my mind! Happens a lot!
I got the first coat of paint on and decided that something needed to happen with the back. Yeah, it would mostly be covered with clothes, if someone decided to use it that way, but it just felt unfinished with the cord holes and lovely tv sized “cut out” in the back.
Then I remembered that we still had planks left over from this project and this project and I thought it would be easy enough to cut them down and use them to cover the back. Oddly enough, when we laid them out, they fit perfectly. We didn’t even have to cut any boards lengthwise to fit. It was just meant to be! After cutting the boards, we laid the armoire on its back. Then we spread a generous amount of wood glue on the backs of the planks and spaced them with leftover tile spacers. We placed a few heavy objects on the planks to help the glue adhere to the back panel.
Once I got to this point, I decided to use milk paint for the rest of the piece. Like I said, I don’t know why I changed my mind, I just did! So, I gave the outside of the piece a coat of Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint in Shutter Gray. The inside of the piece and the door accents got a mixture of Ironstone and Grainsack. I used MMS white wax on the inside and I mixed antiquing wax and white wax for the outside. I ended up not liking the look of the gray wax, so a couple days later I used white wax to pull some of the gray wax off. It worked perfectly and I love the look I ended up with.
To finish the piece, we added a bar to hang clothes. I can see this piece in a child’s room as a way to store extra clothes and toys.
I got this adorable vintage patchwork stuffed bear from a flea market last year. I love old patchwork quilts, but they’re always so expensive. I saw this little guy and fell in love. I didn’t buy it at first, but couldn’t stop thinking about it as my mother-in-law and I walked around the flea market. We stopped back and it was still there, so we got it. He was a bit tattered, though, so she sewed him back up for me and now he’s as good as new! He usually sits on my youngest daughter’s shelf in her room. I don’t let her play with him, though, because I’m too attached! Maybe when she’s older … like 30!
And I made these moss wreaths to hang on the outside. They were really easy to make – just took a little time. They probably wouldn’t be hung on an armoire in real life, but I liked the way they looked with the piece. They just give it an extra pop of color and dimension!
Here’s one last before and after …
This piece is for sale in my booth at Painted Farmgirl & Friends.