Ikea Bathroom Vanity : Update on the Update

If you’ll remember back with me for a minute, you may recall me doing an Ikea bathroom vanity update.  Oh yes, I did do one of those, didn’t I?  Hmmm, then why am I doing another one that looks suspiciously similar to the first one?  In short, I just didn’t like it!

Ikea bathroom vanity update

I’ve been having such a hard time finishing our basement bathroom and for the longest time, I couldn’t figure out why.  I didn’t quite get it until I started working on my little office nook that sits just outside the bathroom.  When we first started working on our basement, I wanted fun, bright colors with a modern touch.  After watching the rooms evolve, though, it became clear to me that that wasn’t really my style and I wasn’t being true to myself.  In a way, I’m kind of annoyed with myself for ever even thinking about going the bright, modern route.  But when I think about it, I realize it was a big moment for me to figure out what my style really is and to be comfortable with who I am – design wise.

Milk painted Ikea hack bathroom vanity

And when it really came down to it, this bright green vanity (see it here if you don’t remember it) just wasn’t fitting in anymore.  I finally knew it had to change, but I really didn’t want to do the work!  When I painted it the first time, it wasn’t installed and therefore was super easy to paint.  This time, however, it was installed and super close to the wall.  Not so easy to paint.

Milk painted Ikea bathroom vanity

Needless to say, I got lots of paint on the wall and I was stressed while trying to cram my short paint brush in that tiny space.  But now that it’s all done and the wall paint has been touched up … I’m happy with it!

Pink hydrangea in cottage bathroom

The new color – Boxwood milk paint (with a touch of Typewriter) finished with antiquing wax – has a much more vintage, aged, worn look.  Much more the look I’m going for in our home.  It fits in way better with that cute little mirror I snagged at the flea market this summer, too.  It just makes way more sense!

Ikea bathroom vanity turned antique looking one-of-a-kind piece with milk paint

It’s a little odd to me that I’d find my true style from painting a bathroom vanity for the second time, but it’s true!  I feel like I have way more direction in my style now and can see more of what I like and don’t like much easier.  I’m hoping to find a few accessories and finish up the sliding door soon so that I can do a full reveal of the space and be totally done with it.  Hopefully that doesn’t take forever!

Linking to : Lil’ LunaMiss Mustard Seed, & Love of Family and Home

Comments

I love the new shade of green, Allison! And good for you for getting in there so close to the wall– that couldn’t have been easy! I also love your thoughts about finding your style. That’s something I’ve really wanted to get better at! Hope you have a wonderful day!

~Abby =)

Thank you, Abby! I feel like it has taken me forever, but I can finally see it taking shape! Lots of trial and error, I guess! :)

2. Chelsea says

I LOVE the new color Allison – it gives it a more vintage feel that is so you!! and that mirror is gorg!!

Thanks, lady! :) I’m so happy I grabbed that mirror when I saw it! It was a steal, too! Win!! :)

Thanks so much, Jamie! It was a total pain, but so worth it! Glad it’s over now! 😉

I was in love with it the first time and love it even more this time around Allison! Totally worth the trouble to paint! It looks stunning in your beautiful space!

Thanks Kristi! It sure can be a pain to repaint things, but I think it’s good to find out what you like and don’t like. Paint is an easy fix, overall! :)

Loved the first green BUT love this shade too! So glad to see how it looks since I’m getting ready to paint the trim and bed in the boys’ room in Boxwood. Might have to play around with adding a little typewriter. I really like how it makes it lean more to an olive vs. leafy green now. P.S. That mirror is stunning!

Thanks, Jessica! The color wasn’t quite as olive-y until my last coat. I think I hit a clump of yellow which made it turn that color. I would just say to play with the color a bit to get what you want. You could always add a touch of mustard seed to make it more olive, too. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

5. John says

Hi Allison,

I love what you did with the vanity. A clarifying question: Did you paint directly over the other green or did you sand it down first? Also, what kind of antiquing wax did you use. Any more info. would be really helpful.

Thanks,
    John

I did lightly sand it before painting, John. I used Miss Mustard Seed’s antiquing wax – it’s my favorite!

6. Danni says

Beautiful turn out and inspiring! May I ask what paint color you used on the walls? It goes very well with the color of the vanity and your decor! Thanks so much and hope to hear back!