White Nightstand Make-Under

I did something the other day that was really hard for me.  I painted a piece of furniture white!  I know, most people have white furniture in their house and it’s no big deal.  But, not this girl.  For some reason having white furniture in my own house is scary to me.  I guess I figure if you’re going to paint something, why not paint it a pretty color?

Nightstand make-under : calming the room with white paint

But when it came to making over my daughter’s room, I felt like all the colors were getting to be a bit much.  I needed some sense of calm in there.

Little girls' room makeover - cottage style

After lots of thinking and trying to work around painting her nightstand white, I painted her nightstand white!

Here’s what the nightstand looked like after its first makeover a couple years ago.  It was cute enough, but the yellow was just too much for her new room design.  (You can see more of that makeover here.)

Stenciled nightstand in Cream and Old White Chalk Paint®

So, I sanded down the stencil on the top and painted the whole thing with a few coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® in Pure White.

Mini gallery wall and white end table in cottage style little girl's room

Aqua planter with pink flowers in cottage style little girl's room makeover

And I’m pretty sure I like it now!

Mini gallery wall and white nightstand in little girl's bedroom makeover Pink flowers in aqua canister

I do think it looks nice and it is much more serene looking, but the fact that it’s white is still a little hard for me.

Little girl's bedroom makeover

Gold painted rooster I guess it’s just going to take some time to grow on me!

White nightstand in little girl's room

Aqua, yellow, pink, gold, and navy little girl's cottage style room makeover

So, I’m curious.  Do you like white furniture or are you partial to color, like me?

Linking up to : Liz Marie BlogMiss Mustard Seed, & Lil’ Luna

Comments

It’s so cute! I love the crispness of the white. It helps all the wonderful accessories to pop! I’m in the middle of painting an identical but larger scale French Provincial dresser right now in Mint and gold :)

I love color but sometime we need the calming effect of a pure neutral — like the white. I like the chest of drawers it makes the cute accessories stand out. If you ever decide you simply can’t live with Snow White then you can pick a color and paint. :-)

3. Laura says

I love white furniture. I have it all over my house. :) I also use the Annie Sloan chalk paint and love it. It’s perfect for painting furniture with. The nightstand turned out great! :)

4. Becky says

I like color too, but this is really pretty. I think the white really pops against the wall color and the headboard. All the accessories are so pretty too. Great job all around!

I love this white nightstand, it looks so fresh and clean. I have two very similar to this, just two drawers and I plan to paint them white with just a little silver added to the paint. Love this!!

6. Annette says

I think it’s so pretty! Looks good against the walls. Speaking of, what is the color of your daughter’s walls? I love it.

Thanks Annette! The color is Sherwin Williams Comfort Gray – mixed at 75%.

The white is perfect in this room. Love all colors and how calming this space is. Visiting from Miss Musterseed’s Furniture Feature Friday. I just posted my makeover on the same piece for my daughters room.

I love white then add color to change things up now and then. I was thinking of painting my green table white and wondered if you have to seal this sort of project after if it is going to be a work surface?? I love what you’ve done!

I would probably seal it with a polycrylic (water based) so it doesn’t yellow. Maybe two or three coats.

9. Christine says

Ahhhhh! I love it. Some pieces are just born to be painted white. I tried the all white thing and it looked too sterile. I try to balance my neutrals with pops of color throughout my home. We have a nice balance of the two! Love your blog ☺️
    Poppies and Sunflowers