Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter

I can’t believe spring is finally here!  I’ve been spending every possible moment outside with my little girls now that it’s finally warm.  I felt so bad for all the time we had to spend inside during this crazy winter so now I’m trying to make up for it a little!

The warmer weather is also getting me thinking of pretty flowers and green grass.  Since those aren’t quite here yet, I thought these mason jar succulent planters would bring some springy-ness to the house until things start blooming outside.

Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter via thegoldensycamore.com

These planters were super easy to make!

I took 3 mason jars and some craft paint I had in the basement and gave the jars two coats of paint.  I painted just on the lower third of the jars, kind of giving them that dipped look.

Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter

I lightly sanded the jars once the paint was dry and then added a couple handfuls of river rocks to the bottom.

Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter

I added a little dirt on top of the rocks and then plopped my succulents in, fluffed them a little, and I was done.

Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter

I really love how bright and cheery these little planters turned out!

Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter

And since I don’t do well at keeping plants alive indoors, succulents are the perfect low-maintenance solution for me!

Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter

Did you notice the sidewalk chalk in some of the pictures?  When I was thinking of what colors to paint these jars, I glanced over at the chalk that was still sitting on our counter from outdoor playtime with my daughters yesterday.  They were the perfect springy combination and oddly enough, I had all the coordinating craft paint colors on hand, so it worked out perfectly!

Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter

Have you started decorating for spring yet?  Please tell me I’m not the only one who’s this far behind!

Linking to : Liz Marie Blog, Silver Pennies, DIY Showoff, Lil’ Luna, & Lolly Jane

* indicates required

Powered by MailChimp

Comments

1. Anne Anderson says:

The jars are adorable—and I love the pretty pastel colors!

2. Nana a.k.a. Terri Hop says:

I should even be able to manage to keep these alive! What a great idea!
    Terri

3. chris aka monkey says:

i truly have been thinking succulents and this is perfect for them thanks good job xx

4. Crystal says:

i love the jars!! The colors are so fun and spring-like. Great idea to add the succulent in them. I haven’t started decorating for spring yet either. I’m a little behind :(

• Allison @ The Golden Sycamore says:

Glad I’m not the only one, Crystal! :) I think this crazy cold winter has gotten people off to a slow start!

5. Kelly@ Thelilypadcottage says:

So so adorable, love them girl!

6. I love this. Great idea to just paint the lower portion of the mason jar. Please come share this at our link party going on now!

Amy W recently posted…Gold Striped EggsMy Profile

7. Love these simple planters, Allison! The paint and dirt have a cool layered look! Very pretty!

8. These are so gorgeous! I love the spring colors:)
    Ginnie recently posted…DIY Faux Inlay BoxMy Profile

9. These are so pretty Allison! I share your “green thumb” so these would be perfect for me!
    Jenn recently posted…Easter Chalkboard BuntingMy Profile

10. Seriously adorable Allison – such a This is so creative! I love how it turned out:) little twist on some great trends!
    Krista @ the happy housie recently posted…Easter Bunny in the Grass Spring Wreath for our Easter Mantel {Get Your DIY On!!}My Profile

11. Adorable and oh so Spring! Thanks for sharing! :)
    Laurie @ Vin’yet Etc. recently posted…Playdate part 2: Think outside of the box…My Profile

12. What a gorgeous idea. The pastel colours are so fresh too.

My weekly say G’day linky party is happening right now and this post would be a perfect addition. Please pop on over and say g’day if you have a minute to spare!

Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz
    Natasha In Oz recently posted…Say G’Day Saturday Linky Party (81) ~ Link up your crafts, tutorials, DIY, recipes & blogging tips!My Profile

13. Super cute!

14. Did you leave the succulents in their original holders and just pack dirt around? Or did you take them out and “plant” them in the jars? I’m on my way to the store soon and was just curious about what you did!
    Alaia recently posted…Diet Review: The 7 Day Diet/Cabbage Soup DietMy Profile

• Allison @ The Golden Sycamore says:

Alaia – I took them out of their little pots and “planted” them in the jars. Have fun planting! :)

15. These are so perfect for Spring and just looking at them make me happy! Thanks for linking up at Sunday Soiree.

16. I love these. They’re so pretty! Here in Costa Rica they recently stopped recycling glass altogether so I’ve got lots of jars on hand. I’ll have to give this a try. Sure beats filling up the landfills with glass!
    Jelli recently posted…Chocolate Mint Brownie CheesecakeMy Profile

17. Adorable! x
    Danielle recently posted…Meal Planning with Debra Smouse & a GiveawayMy Profile

18. You are the cutest, seriously! What a pretty and cheerful project. Love the planters and can’t wait to share tomorrow- snagged the link from our Sunday Soiree par-tay and can’t wait to see you there, again! XXOO
    Lolly Jane recently posted…Craft Room RevealMy Profile

19. oh wow LOVE these so! I am working on improving my “keeping succulents alive” skills ha ha But I am going to need to try this.

20. I love this Allison!! Just stopping by to let you know I’m featuring you in my spring project round-up tomorrow! (If you would rather not be featured, just let me know:)

Hugs!
    Katie @Fun Home Things
    Katie Drane recently posted…{Savory} Crock Pot Pork TenderloinMy Profile

21. Very very cool! I’m planning on re-potting some of my succulents this afternoon and I have just have the jars and paint that I know I’m going to use! Thanks for the idea!!

22. Thanks you so much for this great idea! I can’t wait to get started, and I have everything to get started!!

23. Such a cute idea! =)
    Melissa @ My Recent Favorite books recently posted…Mothers Day Gift IdeasMy Profile

24. How did you paint the jars so evenly. Did you tape the jars and then dipped them in paint to get an even dipped look?

• Allison @ The Golden Sycamore says:

I freehanded it, Linda. Must have been a good day for me, because I don’t usually even attempt that! :) You could use painter’s tape or put some paint in a plastic container and then actually dip the jars. Either way would work!

25. An intriguing discussion is definitely worth comment.
    I think that you need to write more on this subject, it might
    not be a taboo subject but generally people do not discuss these topics.
    To the next! Kind regards!!
    Dates for 2014 Fort Lauderdale Boat Show recently posted…Dates for 2014 Fort Lauderdale Boat ShowMy Profile