Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter

I can’t believe spring is finally here!  I’ve been spending every possible moment outside with my little girls now that it’s finally warm.  I felt so bad for all the time we had to spend inside during this crazy winter so now I’m trying to make up for it a little!

The warmer weather is also getting me thinking of pretty flowers and green grass.  Since those aren’t quite here yet, I thought these mason jar succulent planters would bring some springy-ness to the house until things start blooming outside.

Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter via thegoldensycamore.com

These planters were super easy to make!

I took 3 mason jars and some craft paint I had in the basement and gave the jars two coats of paint.  I painted just on the lower third of the jars, kind of giving them that dipped look.

Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter

I lightly sanded the jars once the paint was dry and then added a couple handfuls of river rocks to the bottom.

Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter

I added a little dirt on top of the rocks and then plopped my succulents in, fluffed them a little, and I was done.

Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter

I really love how bright and cheery these little planters turned out!

Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter

And since I don’t do well at keeping plants alive indoors, succulents are the perfect low-maintenance solution for me!

Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter

Did you notice the sidewalk chalk in some of the pictures?  When I was thinking of what colors to paint these jars, I glanced over at the chalk that was still sitting on our counter from outdoor playtime with my daughters yesterday.  They were the perfect springy combination and oddly enough, I had all the coordinating craft paint colors on hand, so it worked out perfectly!

Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter

Have you started decorating for spring yet?  Please tell me I’m not the only one who’s this far behind!

Linking to : Liz Marie Blog, Silver Pennies, DIY Showoff, Lil’ Luna, & Lolly Jane

Comments

1. Crystal says

i love the jars!! The colors are so fun and spring-like. Great idea to add the succulent in them. I haven’t started decorating for spring yet either. I’m a little behind :(

Glad I’m not the only one, Crystal! :) I think this crazy cold winter has gotten people off to a slow start!

What a gorgeous idea. The pastel colours are so fresh too.

My weekly say G’day linky party is happening right now and this post would be a perfect addition. Please pop on over and say g’day if you have a minute to spare!

Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

Did you leave the succulents in their original holders and just pack dirt around? Or did you take them out and “plant” them in the jars? I’m on my way to the store soon and was just curious about what you did!

Alaia – I took them out of their little pots and “planted” them in the jars. Have fun planting! :)

I love these. They’re so pretty! Here in Costa Rica they recently stopped recycling glass altogether so I’ve got lots of jars on hand. I’ll have to give this a try. Sure beats filling up the landfills with glass!

You are the cutest, seriously! What a pretty and cheerful project. Love the planters and can’t wait to share tomorrow- snagged the link from our Sunday Soiree par-tay and can’t wait to see you there, again! XXOO

I love this Allison!! Just stopping by to let you know I’m featuring you in my spring project round-up tomorrow! (If you would rather not be featured, just let me know:)

Hugs!
    Katie @Fun Home Things

7. Kristy says

Very very cool! I’m planning on re-potting some of my succulents this afternoon and I have just have the jars and paint that I know I’m going to use! Thanks for the idea!!

I freehanded it, Linda. Must have been a good day for me, because I don’t usually even attempt that! :) You could use painter’s tape or put some paint in a plastic container and then actually dip the jars. Either way would work!

8. Karen says

Love This idea! What size are these mason jars? I have never seen tall skinny ones like these and they are such a great shape for the succulents!

9. Ellie says

Hey, I know this is an older post now but I’ve just been searching up mothers day present ideas (UK) and these came up, and I love them!! wanted to know where the jars came from so that I can find some similar, as I’ve been searching around but most jars have narrower necks!

Thanks x

10. Shannon R. says

California is in a drought….for those of you who haven’t heard or watched the news in the past 5 years ;-) That said, this makes the PERFECT gift for us California moms, aunts, and grandmas, who are trying to be good citizens and watch our flowers and grass turn brown and wilt away, in an effort to conserve water.
    I love this idea and plan to make about half a dozen of these for the special women in my life…thanks for some great inspiration, and happy Mothers day to you!

Trackbacks