You may know by now that I kinda sorta hate sewing. I do it if I really have to, but you better believe it’s never more than straight lines! So, when it came time to make the curtains for my daughter’s room, I really didn’t want to sew them. I started pursuing Pinterest and found out that some people were using hot glue to “no sew” things. Mind. Blown. Oh my goodness! Hot glue? I was in heaven! I know, I know. It’s not as professional or whatever. But guess what?! I don’t care! For curtains, it’s no big deal to me. Plus, drop cloth is super heavyweight, so sewing it is even more of a pain.
Okay, so here’s how I made the curtains…
I bought a drop cloth from Home Depot and this fabric from Ikea.
I cut the drop cloth in half lengthwise and then measured out the width I wanted my curtains (60 inches) and pinned them. I ironed a fold where my pins were so that I’d have a straight line to cut. I then laid out my drop cloth and laid a straight edge along the fold. I ran my rotary cutter down the straight edge/fold and had my cuts done in no time. I’m no good at cutting straight lines, so this method really helped.
Then I pinned the edge over at a half inch all the way down.
And ironed the fold.
Now comes the fun part! I pulled out my hot glue gun and glued the flap down. I worked in about one foot sections at a time, lightly pressing down the fabric after I glued.
I then repeated this on the other curtain. I only had to do this on one edge of each because I used the hemmed edge of the drop cloth as the other edge. No use in doing extra work, right?!
After the widths were finished, I hung the curtains up to figure out how long I wanted them. I ended up pinning them at about an inch and a half longer than touching the floor. Does that make sense? I kind of pulled them taut to the floor and then estimated about an inch and a half past that. I hope that makes sense! Anyway, after I got my measurement, I repeated the above steps for the lengths.
After the drop cloths were measured and hemmed, it was time to move on to the pretty fabric “banding” at the top. I again measured, pinned, ironed, and cut just like the drop cloths, just to different measurements. After I made all my cuts, I pinned and ironed the bottom flap at a half inch. I got the hot glue gun out again and glued the flap down.
Then I laid the fabric face up on the top of the drop cloth. I measured out 18 inches from the top of the drop cloth to the bottom of the printed fabric and pinned them together on both sides. Once I got my printed fabric exactly where I wanted it and made sure everything was flat and smooth, I hot glued the finished edge of printed fabric to the drop cloth.
And then I just folded the other edges over the drop cloth edges and hot glued them to the back. I had cut them all about one to two inches to large, so that the edges would be covered nicely when the printed fabric was folded over.
I repeated the steps on the other curtain and I was done! It kind of took a while to get this project done, but I can guarantee (for me, at least) it would have taken way more time and would have been way more frustrating if I had tried to sew all of this!
I’m super happy with how the curtains turned out and I’m totally hooked on using hot glue as a no sew option in the future. It was just so easy!
If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot me an email or post your question in the comments section below! Happy sewing, er “no sewing”! :)
Linking to : Lolly Jane