So, yesterday I shared my super dirty, cluttered basement with you. Sorry I was a bit dramatic about it, but I had had enough and I just couldn’t handle it anymore! Now that the scariness of sharing that awful space is over, I’d like to share some inspiration for the room. These photos really feel “cottage-y” to me. I can tell more and more as I figure out my design likes and dislikes that I’m really leaning toward the cottage look. It just gets me every time!
Now that I have all of these inspiration photos together, I can start to see what brings them all together.
* Lots of whites and light colors! I love the airy look of very light paint colors.
* I love the last two photos for an entirely different reason. They exude a coziness, and despite the dark wall color, the room still gives you a soft feeling because of the accent colors and textures that were used.
* Layering, lots and lots of layering. I tend to keep things a bit more simple in my home because I hate cleaning – especially with two young kids and 3 pets! But I can see how layering a room really adds interest and dimension! It really makes the room feel more lived in.
* Definitely some sort of wood wall treatment. Bead board, planked walls, and board and batten are all very cottage-y. They can really give a room character and definition without costing a ton of money.
* Finally, a bit of whimsy. Be it in wallpaper, wall art, or light fixtures, whimsy brings a personal touch and keeps things lighthearted. Just how you’d want to feel in a cottage!
Want to see even more of my cottage style inspiration? Follow my Cozy Cottage Pinterest board to keep up with my latest pins!