Oh, the Chippy Goodness!

So, you know I just got home from my MMSMP retailer training, right?  I learned so much from the amazing educators, I’m on a bit of a painting high!  I got home and started working on a dresser, but it’s taking forever to get into painting condition, so I took a little break to work on this chair.  Sometimes you just need a little instant gratification!

Chippy Chair from thegoldensycamore.com

So, I grabbed my paint and got started.  I painted one coat of Kitchen Scale and came back after about a half hour and painted a coat of Grain Sack.  About 15 minutes after I finished my second coat, I started distressing.  I used a damp rag and just started rubbing paint off.  The paint came off perfectly!  I was really excited with how it was turning out … and then, I saw chipping!!

Chippy Chair #mmsmilkpaint #kitchenscale #grainsack

Like, really pretty, authentic-looking, perfect chipping!  And I was in love!

Chippy Chair #mmsmilkpaint #kitchenscale #grainsack

The legs rubbed off beautifully!  There was very little chipping on the legs, but the look is still really authentic.  For the most part, I had to use very little pressure as I distressed the legs.

Chippy Chair  #mmsmilkpaint #kitchenscale #grainsack Chippy Chair #mmsmilkpaint #kitchenscale #grainsack

Chippy Chair #mmsmilkpaint #kitchenscale #grainsack

I’m so glad to have finally gotten chipping on a milk painted piece.  I have painted a couple pieces so far, like this nightstand and this bed, and got no chipping and just was getting discouraged about it.  One thing I learned at my training is that the chipping really is so random (although there are a few things you can do to encourage it, which I’ll talk about later) and that you just need to keep painting and not give up.  You’ll get it eventually…just give it time!

.  .  .

Okay, so I have to ask.  Do you like the chippy, super distressed look or is it not for you?  I love it as an accent piece, but definitely couldn’t handle it on every piece in my house!

Comments

You are so right! I can’t handle a ton of super distressed furniture, but a chippy piece here and there (that looks authentic and worn) is just so great. It adds warmth and character to a space that I really love. I’m hoping to get my hands on some MMSMP and wax soon! I have been wanting to do more milk painted pieces lately. The chair looks amazing :)

2. Anne Anderson says

Love the chair—it’s darling! I agree with both you and Reeves—I’d like a piece or two of the chippy look, but that would be enough for me. I like how you gave your own opinion :)

Agreed. Love the chippy occasionally, but I have had situations where it got out of control and I almost cried! or at least wished I’d used bonding agent! Sometimes if I’m not sure, I’ll just go with half strength bonding agent, so at least I know I’ll have a little bit of control. I’m getting to know what surfaces are more likely to chip, but yes, it can be quite random! G’day from Australia. Love your blog!

So true! It can be a bit random! It helps me to continue to learn to let go and just let things happen on their own! 😉

Ok I used to not be a fan to the chippy look, but I think after months and years of seeing on beautiful pieces painted by people whom I admire, it has grown on me! So much, in fact, that I bought some of Eulalie’s Sky a couple months back! I was having a week much like the one you are describing with lots of repairs on a dresser, and did the exact same thing as you did! I painted an old chair! And it chipped so beautifully too! Not too much, not too little… just perfect, like your chair! I really think chipping can look so lovely when there isn’t TOO much. I love the layered, weathered look your chair has too! And I love the lighting in these pictures. So bright and crisp. Thanks for the blog love too, Allison!

I love this chair! I have an old one I want a similar effect on and this is the inspiration I needed…use my MMS milk paint! Duh, don’t know why I didn’t realize it’s exactly what my beauty needs. Yours turned out perfectly!
    Saw you linking at Miss Mustard Seed’s