8 Ways to Mix Chalk Paint Colors

If you follow my blog, you know that I love using Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan to transform furniture.  I was hooked from the first brush stroke!

Recently, someone asked me what my favorite Chalk Paint® color was.  Honestly, I can’t say I have a favorite color.  I love so many of them – as my husband would be more than willing to tell you from all the paint cans in our basement!  ;)

The fact that the paint colors can be mixed so easily just makes me love it that much more.  And makes me possibly even more addicted to painting.  But that’s another subject.  For another time!

8 Ways to Mix Chalk Paint from thegoldensycamore.com

Like I said, mixing the paint is so easy to do.  I usually use cotton swabs and/or plastic spoons, but you can even use your fingertips!  No fancy supplies required!

Mixing ASCP Colors

I like to mix my paints on a sturdy paper plate.  I keep a pen handy so that I can write down the formulas on the plate as I’m mixing them.  That way I’ll remember how to recreate the colors later on.

Mixing ASCP Colors

Make sure to let your samples completely dry to get a better sense of what they will look like when you use them on furniture.

. . .

Here are some of my favorite mixes from around the web…with a couple of my own favorites thrown in, too!

Mixing ASCP Colors

>> ombre dresser <<

The Golden Sycamore: Spring Green Dresser

>> spring green dresser <<

Mixing ASCP Colors

>> dipped-leg highchair <<

. . .

Have you tried mixing chalk paint colors?  The possibilities really are endless!  I’d love to see what you come up with!

*Sharing this project at Savvy Southern Style and Home Stories A to Z along with many other favorite blogs you can check out on my “Where I Party” page.

Comments

I love all these furniture transformations! I think the coral dresser is my favorite–although I really like them all! I’ve never tried chalk paint before but this is inspiring me to try it! I’m stopping by from Inspire Me Please. Have a great weekend!

Thanks Janine! I tried to only add pieces that had formulas with them. If you click on the title under each piece, it will lead you to the original blog post that *should* have the formula in it. For mine – the green dresser is 2 parts Antibes Green, 2 parts Chateau Grey, and 1 part Old White. I *think* the highchair is Old White, Provence, Antibes Green, and Graphite – all one part each. I didn’t write that one down at the time, but I think that’s what I used. :)

• says

Thanks so much for replying. I’m always leery of mixing paint .. have had much ruined and it’s so expensive! Will give it a go now that I have some recipes! Janine

I love chalk paint as well, but I’m leery about mixing because I’m just not good at it. Your way of mixing just might have me jumping in to try it now. :) And oh my gosh I LOVE your painting projects! I’m your newest follower!

3. Patty Smith says

Love ASCP and am always looking for great new combinations! I really love the vintage armoire in Louis Blue/Paris Grey. May have to try that one…

I recently painted an inexpensive bookshelf with a mix of one part Coco Brown, one part Graphite, and 1/4 part Barcelona. I waxed with clear and then dark wax. It is a lovely warm grey/taupe that would go with any neutral decor.

Thanks for the ideas!

Hi Manuela! If you click on >>coral dresser< < under its picture, you will be lead to the original blog post with the recipe they used. :)

4. Norma Mustian says

I love the colors and the prices you have done
    I so want to do a few of my peices but haven’t
    been able to locate a seller. I live in Wilson
    so I can come there. Do you offer any classes?

Norma – I don’t sell ASCP, but I do sell Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint. I sell my paint at Painted Farmgirl & Friends in Hudsonville, MI. I haven’t done any classes yet, but will hopefully start offering them soon!

5. Debbie says

Desperately want to paint a cabinet to match other espresso colored furniture. How do I obtain that color? Please help, I have never used chalk paint before. Thank you!

• Tiffany says

I am in the same boat – I want my stair rails to be espresso. I bought primer red and olive AS chalk paint – mixed equal parts – then used dark wax – looks more chocolate then espresso – thinking I may mix equal primer red, olive, and add some graphite – maybe that would darken it a bit.

6. Dina says

I love your pcs, they came out great, I was wondering if you have ever used a paint primer mix to make calk paint? I found some paint on sale, and have read some posts that said not to use paint primer mix, what do you think?

Dina – I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “paint primer mix”. Do you mean the paint that has primer mixed in it? I’m not sure why you couldn’t use, but I’ve only ever made “fake” chalk paint once and didn’t like it nearly as much as the “real stuff”!

7. kayCharlotte says

I am trying to find a way to mix the deepest darkest plum purple color with the chalk paints and I keep ending up with a lavender that is too pale. HELP.

8. Vickie Anderson says

I just bought the Emperor’s Silk chalk paint to paint a couple of cabinets. I think it looks a bit too cherry red, is there a way to darken it a bit and take out just a little of that bright red??

You could use dark wax, Vickie. Otherwise you could mix it with a darker color, like graphite, but that does have a little blue in it. I think your best bet is to use dark wax to seal it.

• Tammy says

My mistake It is actually called Graphite, not charcoal. I have to order ASCP online so I thought I would make some to try.