Vintage Patriotic Decor

Are you ready for the 4th of July?  I can’t believe it is only three weeks away!  I literally just looked at my calendar to check how far away it was and my jaw dropped!  How is it that time of year again??

The Golden Sycamore: Vintage Patriotic Decor

Since we have a mere three weeks to prepare for this festive time of year, I thought I’d share how I spruced up my home for the holiday!

The Golden Sycamore: Vintage Patriotic Decor

This vignette kind of evolved over time, but from the very beginning, I knew I wanted it to have a vintage look to it.  So I thought I’d share a few tips I try to remember when putting together a vintage-looking vignette.

The Golden Sycamore: Vintage Patriotic Decor

First, choose a color theme and repeat it throughout your decor.  This is easy for a patriotic holiday since the traditional colors are red, white, and blue.  For a more vintage feel though, keep your whites more of an off white, cream, or light tan.  It gives the look a more timeworn feel.

The Golden Sycamore: Vintage Patriotic Decor

I made this banner out of vintage book pages and scrapbook paper that I cut out with my Silhouette Cameo.

The Golden Sycamore: Vintage Patriotic Decor

Speaking of vintage books, another great way to add interest to a vintage vignette is to incorporate vintage books in bold colors.  Keep the binding colors in line with your theme and try to use books in all different sizes.

The Golden Sycamore: Vintage Patriotic Decor The Golden Sycamore: Vintage Patriotic Decor

Mixing in natural textures like burlap, twine, and canvas is another great way to add a vintage feel to your decor.  These will all add instant interest and depth to your decor even though by themselves don’t scream vintage.

The Golden Sycamore: Vintage Patriotic Decor

Also, try to create movement in your vignette.  With all the harsh edges of the books and frames I wanted to loosen things up by adding some soft lines.  This curled up burlap adds texture and movement.

The Golden Sycamore: Vintage Patriotic Decor

The USA banner softens things up, too!

The Golden Sycamore: Vintage Patriotic Decor

Oh, and you can’t forget flowers!  They add texture and softness – and a touch of natural beauty!

I try to add flowers to all of my vignettes if I have time to pick them up.  They just add such a freshness that nothing else can!

The Golden Sycamore: Vintage Patriotic Decor

Lastly, be creative!  Make as many elements as you can.  Since most vignettes will only be around for a season or even just a few weeks, you don’t want to spend a fortune creating them.  Use what you have in your home and make what you can.

As I said earlier, I made the banner very inexpensively using vintage book pages and scrapbook paper.  Then I tied it all together with some yarn I had on hand.

The Golden Sycamore: Vintage Patriotic Decor

The crate is something I shared last week that I just gave a little update.  I cut out a stencil and then painted the lettering on.  Once the paint was dry, I distressed it a little to give it a more worn look.  It looks like it’s been there for ages!

The Golden Sycamore: Vintage Patriotic Decor

I hope my tips inspire you to create a vintage vignette all your own!

. . .

If you missed it yesterday, Mom 4 Real shared some really fun Fourth of July Printable Water Bottle Wraps!  They’re a must have if you’re having a party over the 4th!

And be sure to stop by and check out another awesome summer project from Crafty Texas Girls tomorrow!

Comments

Allison, I love your little vignette. I haven’t even thought about decorating for the 4th yet, but you have me totally inspired! LOVE the book page bunting and the vintage table cloth!

Thanks April! I actually made the table cloth out of a drop cloth and some craft paint! It is one of my favorite parts of the vignette, too! :)

Thanks Jennifer! I don’t usually decorate for the 4th because I don’t really like the store-bought decorations. I’m glad I made my own this year! :)

Great minds think alike. Before I sat down at the computer today, I thought I might start adding in 4th of July to the house and decided to make a USA banner. Then I open your post and you have a beautiful vignette. Now I know I must get going on my 4th decor.

Your vignettes are wonderful – love the tablecloth – which reminds me that I hand painted a table runner for Valentine’s Day in similar stripes.

Definitely great minds, Carol! 😉 I painted this tablecloth, too! I love the look it gives without having to spend a pretty penny on it! :)

Thanks Shayna! It really is one of my favorite vignettes I’ve ever done! I don’t want to take it down! Haha! 😉

oh my goodness, Allison – I LOVE everything! The stencil on the crate looks so authentic. It really looks like it has been there for ages. And the vintage books and the banner oh gosh it’s all so perfect! The best fourth of July decor I’ve ever seen, by far! Thanks so much for being a part of the Summer Celebration Series!!

Allison, your vignette is perfectly patriotic and so nice with the vintage feel. So cute!
    I wish I had a flair for a more vintage-y look. You’ve got it girl. Thanks for sharing your tips. They really help!
    Cheers to you and yours

5. JaneEllen says

I’m always looking for new ideas for 7/4 decorations among other holidays). I have several but like to rotate them from year to year. It’s just the two of us but like to make them anyway. Really love the things you made and your excellent table scape very festive for the holiday.
    I just love making things so you have truly inspired me. I love making banners also so I’ll be busy, busy. I’ve started making pillow covers for July 4th. cause I cleaned up my sewing room and found gobs of 7/4 or patriotic fabrics. I might even make some to give away. The cushion covers would be great for porches, wonder if anybody would want to buy them? I love to sew and make things for my home and porch. When I get a yen for some new cushion covers I go to my sewing room to dig thru my stash which is considerable.
    Hope your holiday is lots of fun, enjoy your wonderful decorations.

Thanks Sarah! I just kinda threw it on the shelf and it worked! Love when that happens! :)

Your 4th of July stuff is perfection! Now I have to go change mine, lol! You are SO talented, I am your newest follower!!!

Therena @ littlebitofpaint.blogspot.com

So pretty Allison! I keep coming back to your blog for your fab projects – I’m now adding you to my bloglovin’ to make sure I don’t miss any of your great ideas! Looking forward to following you!
    Krista