Duncan Phyfe Table & Chairs

Do you ever have one of those pieces that just sits and sits in your basement (or garage) forever?  Well, if you’re a furniture painter, you might!  I had this table and chairs for far too long before painting them.  I’m not sure why I waited so long…I’m totally in love with how they turned out!

The Golden Sycamore: Duncan Phyfe Dining Set

Here’s what they looked like before.  Well, after the hubby sanded the top of the table.  Still trying to get him used to having a blogger for a wife!  ;)

The Golden Sycamore: Duncan Phyfe Dining Set

The chairs had two layers of old fabric on them and most of the bottoms were falling apart.  We cut new wood bottoms, added a bit more padding, and then recovered the chairs.  Aren’t they much cuter now?!

The Golden Sycamore: Duncan Phyfe Dining Set The Golden Sycamore: Duncan Phyfe Dining Set

Painting a table and chairs is always a tedious job, but it’s so rewarding!  I love how a little paint can give things a new life!

The Golden Sycamore: Duncan Phyfe Dining Set

And even though I painted this classic piece of furniture, I *hope* I still gave it a timeless, classic look with my makeover.  I wanted it to keep its charm, but still have a little kick!

The table is painted with Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan in Country Grey with Old White stripes and the chairs are painted in Old White.

The Golden Sycamore: Duncan Phyfe Dining Set

Doesn’t it just look so ready for summer?

The Golden Sycamore: Duncan Phyfe Dining Set

I brought the dining set to my booth at Painted Farmgirl and Friends once I was finished with its makeover.  I hope it finds a home soon so the new owner can enjoy it for a long time to come!

The Golden Sycamore: Duncan Phyfe Dining Set

soooo pretty! i always pass these tables up but lately have seen some painted beautifully! i think i may change my mind next time!

Thanks Cassie! You should definitely try it sometime! I’m sure you’d do a beautiful job!!

Beautiful! I love the style of Duncan Phyfe table and chairs! Looking for a set for my house :) Can you tell me how many coats of chalk paint did you have to paint in order to get such a beautiful finish? I have painted a few things in chalk paint but haven’t mastered it yet …. can never get a very smooth finish like yours seem to be. Any advice? Thanks!

Thanks Tina! I don’t always go for such a smooth finish, but I felt like this piece called for it. I made sure to smooth out my brush strokes as much as possible when I was painting and between coats I lightly sanded with a fine grit sanding block. I think I did two coats on the table, but the chairs took three coats of paint and three coats of shellac. I kept getting bleed through, so I had to keep covering that up! Best wishes!

SO pretty! I’m toying with painting our dining room set and this really caught my eye because of the stripes. Great choice of fabric on the seats as well!

4. Therese @ Fresh Idea Studio says

Allison that is just beautiful! I say paint that baby. You can appreciate it just as much or even more. Love it in white btw.And you know I’m a fan of the stripe:)
    Cheers to you and yours,
    Therese @ Fresh Idea Studio

I was at The Painted Farmgirl again today – just can’t stay away from that place! What a beautiful piece of furniture, girl! I love the fabric that you chose for the chairs. Great job :)

6. Marnie says

I have a Duncan Phyfe that I recently bought from a lady for 100.00 It included 6 harp back chairs…I would so love to paint it but my husband thinks it would be a sin to paint something that is vintage. You have inspired me to just jump in feet first and do it.

This whole set is just gorgeous! I love the stripes on the table, and the chairs compliment it so beautifully! I can just imagine myself relaxing there with a cup of coffee :)

Love how this turned out! Was the tabletop wood veneer or just wood? I have a similar table and don’t know if I should strip/sand/or just paint!

Oh my!!! What an absolutley beautiful job you did on this table and chairs. Soooo amazing. I just can’t get over how beautiful it is.

The Joyful Thrifter

10. Anne Marie Mills says

Thanks for posting these pics! I also painted my Duncan Phyfe chairs white – and it was a big improvement, however, the dirt shows up really fast (they are in my kitchen, not a formal dining room) so now I am thinking about painting them matte black. I think a matte navy might work too but I am not sure if I have guts to follow through do it!