Duncan Phyfe Table & Chairs

Do you ever have one of those pieces that just sits and sits in your basement (or garage) forever?  Well, if you’re a furniture painter, you might!  I had this table and chairs for far too long before painting them.  I’m not sure why I waited so long…I’m totally in love with how they turned out!

The Golden Sycamore: Duncan Phyfe Dining Set

Here’s what they looked like before.  Well, after the hubby sanded the top of the table.  Still trying to get him used to having a blogger for a wife!  ;)

The Golden Sycamore: Duncan Phyfe Dining Set

The chairs had two layers of old fabric on them and most of the bottoms were falling apart.  We cut new wood bottoms, added a bit more padding, and then recovered the chairs.  Aren’t they much cuter now?!

The Golden Sycamore: Duncan Phyfe Dining Set The Golden Sycamore: Duncan Phyfe Dining Set

Painting a table and chairs is always a tedious job, but it’s so rewarding!  I love how a little paint can give things a new life!

The Golden Sycamore: Duncan Phyfe Dining Set

And even though I painted this classic piece of furniture, I *hope* I still gave it a timeless, classic look with my makeover.  I wanted it to keep its charm, but still have a little kick!

The table is painted with Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan in Country Grey with Old White stripes and the chairs are painted in Old White.

The Golden Sycamore: Duncan Phyfe Dining Set

Doesn’t it just look so ready for summer?

The Golden Sycamore: Duncan Phyfe Dining Set

I brought the dining set to my booth at Painted Farmgirl and Friends once I was finished with its makeover.  I hope it finds a home soon so the new owner can enjoy it for a long time to come!

The Golden Sycamore: Duncan Phyfe Dining Set

Comments

Thanks Cassie! You should definitely try it sometime! I’m sure you’d do a beautiful job!!

Beautiful! I love the style of Duncan Phyfe table and chairs! Looking for a set for my house :) Can you tell me how many coats of chalk paint did you have to paint in order to get such a beautiful finish? I have painted a few things in chalk paint but haven’t mastered it yet …. can never get a very smooth finish like yours seem to be. Any advice? Thanks!

Thanks Tina! I don’t always go for such a smooth finish, but I felt like this piece called for it. I made sure to smooth out my brush strokes as much as possible when I was painting and between coats I lightly sanded with a fine grit sanding block. I think I did two coats on the table, but the chairs took three coats of paint and three coats of shellac. I kept getting bleed through, so I had to keep covering that up! Best wishes!

2. Therese @ Fresh Idea Studio says

Allison that is just beautiful! I say paint that baby. You can appreciate it just as much or even more. Love it in white btw.And you know I’m a fan of the stripe:)
    Cheers to you and yours,
    Therese @ Fresh Idea Studio

I was at The Painted Farmgirl again today – just can’t stay away from that place! What a beautiful piece of furniture, girl! I love the fabric that you chose for the chairs. Great job :)

4. Marnie says

I have a Duncan Phyfe that I recently bought from a lady for 100.00 It included 6 harp back chairs…I would so love to paint it but my husband thinks it would be a sin to paint something that is vintage. You have inspired me to just jump in feet first and do it.

This whole set is just gorgeous! I love the stripes on the table, and the chairs compliment it so beautifully! I can just imagine myself relaxing there with a cup of coffee :)

6. Anne Marie Mills says

Thanks for posting these pics! I also painted my Duncan Phyfe chairs white – and it was a big improvement, however, the dirt shows up really fast (they are in my kitchen, not a formal dining room) so now I am thinking about painting them matte black. I think a matte navy might work too but I am not sure if I have guts to follow through do it!