Nursery Progress : A Gender Neutral Room Reveal

Yay!  It’s finally here!  I’m so glad we were able to get the nursery done in time for the baby.  I’m due in three weeks, so we were cutting it a little close, but now that it’s done, I can rest easy!

I’ve been sharing projects along the way and am finally able to show you the whole room!

The Golden Sycamore: Gender Neutral Nursery

Oh, where to start?  Well, see that white door behind the rocking chair?  That is actually the second door to the room.  The room is super tiny (9′ x 10.5′) and was originally built as a pass through room.  I don’t know why they built rooms like this in the 50’s, but our previous house had one, too.

It was hard enough dealing with such a small space for the baby, we really had no room for everything if we left access open to that door.  So, for now, we just closed it and put a chair in front of it.  I’m sure as baby gets bigger we’ll have to figure out a more permanent solution (like at least locking it), but for now it’s fine.

Here is what the room looked like before we got started on it.  It had been freshly painted by the previous owners, but it was bo-ring!

The Golden Sycamore Nursery Before

The Golden Sycamore Nursery Before

I’m glad to say it has come a long way since then!

The Golden Sycamore: Gender Neutral Nursery

The Golden Sycamore: Gender Neutral Nursery

We’ve really enjoyed working on this room.  Since we don’t know the gender of the baby yet, we did our best to keep the room as neutral as possible.

The Golden Sycamore: Gender Neutral Nursery

We figure we can add touches of pink or blue to the room once the baby arrives.

The Golden Sycamore: Gender Neutral Nursery The Golden Sycamore Painted Changing Table

The Golden Sycamore: Gender Neutral Nursery

The Golden Sycamore: Gender Neutral Nursery The Golden Sycamore: Gender Neutral Nursery

The picture shelves were actually made out of an old bed rail.  We were given an antique bed by a friend this past summer.  We used the headboard and footboard, but didn’t need the rails.  I knew I could repurpose them, so we held onto them.  And I’m so glad we did.  We cut one rail in half, stained both pieces, and then installed them as shelves!  I love the character and history they add…and totally love that they were free!  😉

The Golden Sycamore: Gender Neutral Nursery

The Golden Sycamore: Gender Neutral Nursery

I gotta say, I’m pretty proud of myself for these curtains.  I installed the rod all by myself and hemmed the IKEA curtains, too!  I usually depend on my hubby to do things that involve using a drill, but he was busy at the time, so there was no better time to learn than right then and there!  It really wasn’t that difficult and now I can say I did it all by myself!  😉

The Golden Sycamore: Gender Neutral Nursery

The Golden Sycamore: Gender Neutral Nursery

To see all the projects that led up to the final reveal, check out these posts:

Installing the wood plank wall

Updated dresser into changing table

DIY crib skirt

DIY stenciled picture frame mat

Organized nursery closet

I hope you enjoyed the nursery reveal today!  I am certainly breathing a little easier knowing it’s done and ready for our baby to move right in – sooner than later preferably!  😉

PS – the wall color in this room is Ambitious Amber by Sherwin Williams

Comments

• Allison says

Thank Jaime! I’m excited to see what you do with your nursery! Oh, and I’m totally voting for the nautical theme! :)

I love it lady!! So much! I honestly didn’t even notice the door that the chair is in front of until you mentioned it – how interesting. Just another bit of character from an older home. So cool. I love the wood planked wall and the bed rail book shelves. It’s the perfect space for your baby! Now I just can’t wait to see your sweet little baby in it!

It is a perfect, peaceful, and restful place for your sweet new baby son or daughter. I love the room- the transformation is amazing. Wonderful job, but would I expect anything else? It looks like home and was put together with so much love. Great job!
    Terri a.k.a. Mom, but most importantly a.k.a. Nana

congrats on the birth of a brand new beautiful room that will soon become the special place for ………. and that is even a bigger congrats…get ready for a feeling of love that is so special….

Beautiful job on the nursery! We are working on our nursery as we speak and I love the neutral colors – never been a fan of just blue or pink… Love your ideas!

Very cool to find your blog. Absolutely love the gender-neutral nursery. I’m a fan of small spaces and you did a great job with this one. Love the colors and little touches. I too am pregnant (due in 7 weeks) and just finished up my baby girl’s nursery and shared it on It’s Overflowing. New follower!

• Allison says

Thanks so much, Leslie! We have a small house, so it’s full of small spaces! 😉 I was actually a little nervous to have such a small room to design, but I’m really happy with how it turned out.

This looks great Allison!! Your little boy or girl will be so happy in such a cheerful little space. I love your changing table/dresser and the crib skirt is so adorable!! Can’t wait to hear if you’re having a boy or a girl!!

What a charming nursery. My babies had tiny nurseries too, about the same size as a walk in closet! I used an old sideboard for a changing table, plenty of room for diapers, clothes and all the baby toiletries. Good luck!
    Karee

What a sweet space for your precious little one, Allison! I love the DIY accents (and Ikea finds)! I’m sharing a link back in this week’s highlights and praying for a happy/healthy/speedy delivery! 😉

Thanks so much for linking to Make the Scene Monday @ Alderberry Hill. You are being featured later today!
    I hope you are having a wonderful weekend, and join me this evening for Make the Scene Monday #67!

Wonderful nursery! I would keep it gender neutral even after the baby is born. It is lovely as is and it is refreshing in its gender neutralness. :)

11. Kayla says

Where is the chair in the nursery from? I am looking for something like this for the nursery for our new little one.

Kayla – we got the chair a few years ago from a local furniture store. We used it in our first daughter’s nursery and totally loved it! It’s a perfect nursery chair! Hope you find something great!

Hi Nancy! The color is Ambitious Amber by Sherwin Williams. Thanks for stopping by! :)

12. Jenny says

Love this!! What is the brand and name of the paint color? Trying to find something similar and they all keep turning out too yellow! Thanks!

Thanks Jenny! The color is Ambitious Amber by Sherwin Williams. This is definitely more of an orange/gold yellow. Hope that helps!

Hi Lacey! The rug is from Ikea. I think it was only about $30. It’s one of my favorites!