Big and Bold : A Green Dresser That’s Ready for Spring

Are you ready for spring?  Now that it’s finally March I’m itching for warmer weather and more sunshine!

Since I’m getting so excited for spring, I thought I’d try a springy green color on this dresser.

The Golden Sycamore: Spring Green Dresser

My husband and I received this dresser as part of a set from a family member who had it in storage.  They know I paint furniture and offered to give us the set for free!  Gotta love free furniture, right?!

This piece is HEA-VY, but the cool thing is that it has casters underneath, so rolling it around was easy!  It was in great condition, but was in need of a facelift.

Before and After Green Dresser

I used a custom mix of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint colors to get the final color.  I mixed up several different concoctions to get just the right color.  Once the colors had dried, I chose the perfect one.  But then I had a lapse in judgement and changed it at the last minute.  Big mistake!  The color turned out too minty for my liking and I pretty much hated it!  It didn’t help that I had covered a HUGE dresser in a color I wasn’t a fan of!

No fear!  Dark wax to the rescue!  I covered the whole piece with dark wax instead of using clear wax and it toned down the minty-ness perfectly!  Now it’s back to a nice calming, spring green color.

ASCP Custom Mix Green Dresser

The Golden Sycamore: Vignette

The drawer pulls are original.  I looked for pulls at a few different stores, but couldn’t find any that were the right size and ready to buy right there in the store.  I really wanted the pulls to be white to keep the piece from feeling too big and heavy, so I painted the original pulls with ASCP Old White, lightly distressed them with a wet rag, and then covered them with a mix of clear and dark wax.

Chalk Paint Green Dresser

Chalk Painted Green Dresser

I often forget that you can distress ASCP with a wet rag.  I was reminded of this fact recently by another blogger and thought I’d try it on this piece.  I’m so glad I did because I really love the authentic distressed look it gives.

The Golden Sycamore: Distressed Green Dresser

The Golden Sycamore: Spring Green Dresser

I hope this piece helps you get in the mood for spring!  Although I’m sure by now, just about everyone is ready for a bit of warmer weather!  :)

Comments

• Allison says

You’re welcome, Sonya! I really love distressing that way. It just feels like a more authentic distressed look to me.

• Allison says

Haha! I knew someone was going to ask me that and I wouldn’t have a good answer! I THINK I got it from World Market a few years ago. It really is one of my favorite accessories!

• Allison says

It will, Gretchen! I really love how it looks and I especially like how it doesn’t leave little scratch marks like sand paper does!

Why, this is just an awesome piece now. Love the color you chose….and the white pulls look wonderful on it…
    Over from Elizabeth & Co.

Visiting from Today’s Creative Blog. I LOVE the green! It is serene. I have mixed Chateau Grey & Old White and like the softer color too.
    Whytney recently posted…One DownMy Profile

I love the way your dresser came out. you sound like me! often times i don’t like something i have done with ASCP so i tweek it til i do love it! elaine

• Allison says

Me too!! Just played outside with my daughter for a little bit, but it’s still a little cold. Here’s to warmer weather! :)

Love love love that green!!! Green is my color. Did you by any chance keep a record of how you mixed your green? This sage green is impossible to find!! I’ve mixed ASCP green and mine ended up a lime green – nice but definitely not sage!! Thanks for sharing!!

Small House / Big Sky Donna / White Oak Studio Designs / SW Michigan
    Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations
    Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com
    Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com (for portfolio of chalk painted work)

• Allison says

Hi Donna! The color was a mix of Antibes Green, Chateau Grey, and Old White. It turned out too minty for my liking which is why I used dark wax over it. I have to play with the mixture a bit to get it to what I want. It’s hard mixing colors sometimes, but worth it when you find a good one! ;)

Not sure which blog I found you on…saw your industrial side table (awesome but still surprised at the cost), then added you to my BlogLovin, which found this post which took me to your etsy site (lol), where I now see you are local!(I’m in Wixom). So glad to follow you!

Hi Kait! The color was a mix of Antibes Green, Chateau Grey, and Old White. It turned out too minty for my liking which is why I used dark wax over it. I have to play with the mixture a bit to get it to what I want. Best wishes on your table! :)