Herringbone Dresser … and an announcement!

I finally get to reveal my latest project!  My blue and white herringbone dresser!

Here is the dresser before I got my hands on it!

I got it via Craigslist.  It was in great shape, the family just didn’t need it anymore.  I fell in love with it the instant I laid eyes on it!  :)

As you can see in the before shot, the mirror was the only part that really wasn’t in great shape.  Even though the old mirror definitely had character, I prefer a crisp, clean mirror.  So, in this case, out with the old, in with the new!  Just take this piece of advice from me if you ever decide to cut a mirror…cut it by hand, not on a tile saw.  It will lead you down a path of much less frustration!  ;)

I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Old White and Sherwin Williams Smoky Blue on this piece.  ASCP didn’t have quite the blue I was looking for, so I made the SW paint into homemade chalk paint to get the color I wanted.  Homemade chalk paint definitely does not even compare to ASCP in my opinion, especially while distressing it, but it works if you’re looking for a specific color.  Another option would be to mix ASCP colors until you get the color you want, but that could quickly lead to wasting a lot of paint if you aren’t careful!

I did two light coats of Old White on the top of the dresser.  Once that was dry, I used a paint and wax mixture to give it a milky look and to help seal it.  I love how it turned out.  It almost looks like stone!

The stripes were kind of a pain in the butt, to tell you the truth!  You definitely need patience if you ever want to attempt anything like this.  But it’s totally worth the result if you’re willing to commit some time to it!  I love the contrasting colors!

So … on to the announcement…

I found a place to sell my painted furniture pieces!  The Town Peddler is a huge craft and antique mall that isn’t too far from home for me.  I got a 6×7 booth and have committed to selling there for the next six months!  I’m so excited about it!  I feel like the commitment to having a booth is just making me take this whole business that much more seriously and it’s even helping my creativity to blossom!  Both great things!  :)  So make sure to check out The Town Peddler in Livonia (starting August 1st) if you’re ever in the area to see my finished pieces in person!

*(PS – I now sell my furniture at Painted Farmgirl & Friends in Hudsonville, MI)

Thanks for stopping by my new blog!  I just picked up a ton of furniture the past couple days, so I’ll definitely have more projects coming soon!

Comments

Came over from the Charmer to see this beautiful piece. The stripes give the dresser so much depth. Good Luck with your booth. I have been doing resell for 14 years and don’t regret a minute of it!

Distressed Donna Down Home

An incredibly beautiful transformation! Love everything about it. Congrats on your booth, I have one and it can be a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you help to make it a great par.tay! Following you on Facebook, hope you “like” me back!

What a beautiful piece of furniture! I love the herringbone design! I too am wanting to find a place to sell my painted furniture! I am hoping to start looking soon! I have been traveling too much this summer to get a chance to find a place! Good luck with your new place! I am your newest follower!

How cute is this?? We have a very similar style dresser, and I’ve never thought of painting it before…now you have my wheels turning :-) Visiting from the blog hop. So nice to “meet” ya!

WOW – WOW – WOW -
    OMG – WOW
    Gorgeous beyond belief!
    I’m your newest follower – have to see what else you come up with!
    Would love to have you visit and follow back :)
    did I mention WOW, lol

Congrats of finding a place to sell your furniture! That is a dream of mine that I hope one day I’ll be able to do! Your dresser redo is absolutely stunning! I love the colors you chose. I am so glad I found your blog.. and I am your newest follower! If you have a chance I’d love for you to stop by mine!

-Peggy

Love how you did your herringbone design on that gorgeous dresser! I painted the herringbone on a nightstand a while back using the comb tool. Found you on Uncommonly Yours Link Party.

WOW!!!! This looks amazing! I don’t have the patience for stripes but it paid off in the end! Amazing job!I am visiting from thee blog hop. I am a little late but wanted to drop by. I am a new follower! I blog over at http://garagesalesrus.blogspot.com/ I hope you will stop by and do the same. I also have an awesome giveaway going on right now with a Cricut Machine! i would love it if you would enter!

Robin

This is seriously amazing! I love it! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and I am so thrilled to be your newest subscriber! You have brilliant taste! Love it all! Have a blessed day!
    -Molly

What a makeover, I adore your blue and white herringbone pattern. I was thinking about doing a grey and white pattern on my dresser to! This inspired me to do it. I”m now your newest follower you have a lovely blog!

I have been seeing you at EVERY party there is lately! How do I know? Because of this BEAUTIFUL DRESSER! I have been dying to do something herringbone. This is definitely the most gorgeous reason to get into gear and get it done!!! Thanks for sharing your beautiful work!

I love this piece. So great that you have a place to sell your pieces. The antique mall here wants a six month commitment, too and I just haven’t bit that bullet. I would love to sell some painted pieces. Thanks for sharing at Wow.

:) so glad you aren’t afraid to go bold with a piece either!! I’ve dona my fair share of unique and bold pieces! love it! I guss that;s where they come up with “no risk, no reward”! Following along to see what else you come up with! :)

This dresser is amazing! Is the dark outline of the stripes the original dresser color, or is that paint, also? How did you get those lines so perfectly straight and even? I have an old dresser I’d love to paint like this to use as an entertainent center in the gameroom for when my grandsons visit.

• says

Hi Lynda! Thanks for stopping by! Yes, the dark outline of the stripes is the stain color on the dresser. I actually sanded those two drawers down and restained them so they were in better shape before I painted over them. Crazy, I know! I used 1/8th inch tape (from an office supply store) to separate the stripes and leave the stain in those spots. It took a lot of work, but was totally worth it!

15. dawn says

I love this dresser. You are so talented. I have one that is very similar and I’d like to try to paint it. I’ve never painted furniture before. Mine is so shiny; do I have to sand it? Strip it? It seems like the paint will not stick. I would so appreciate your advice. Thank you!

Trackbacks