As you know, we moved to a new-to-us house a couple months ago. And when we bought it we were SO excited to have an extra bathroom. Several years ago, my husband and I owned a condo that had a bath and a half and we loved having that extra bathroom. Then a couple years ago, we moved into a rental house with only one bathroom. It was hard to get used to with just the two of us, but now that we have a daughter, it would have gotten more and more difficult as she gets older. So…we are glad to have a second bathroom (even if it isn’t a full bath) once again in our new house! The only down side is that it was NASTY! As in, my husband and I were actually uncomfortable using the toilet in there and the whole room just grossed us out! It needed to be updated to really be a usable bathroom for us.
So, not even two months into living here, we got going on the basement bathroom. We thought it would be a good place to start for many reasons. Someday in the next year or so, we want to totally gut our upstairs full bathroom. We thought if we did the basement bath now, we’d at least have a “comfortable” toilet to use while the other bathroom is being updated. The basement bathroom doesn’t have a tub/shower, but just to have that extra toilet will really help. Also, we are in the process of updating the basement into actual livable space and since we painted the paneling down there, it made the bathroom look even worse and we just had to tackle the project.
We are thrilled with how it turned out! It has its imperfections, but man, it is SO much better! It feels like it just got updated by 40 years! I actually WANT to use that bathroom now!
So, here’s what we started with…
|Even the door had paneling on it!|
|…And even the vanity was paneled! (Check out how big the vanity is…it almost hits the toilet!)|
|One last shot of the craziness before we got started!|
Once that was done, we sanded and put up the b&b treatment. The floor is pretty uneven and the walls are all jacked up in that room, so we just started with the top board and made sure we installed that so it was level. Then we installed the baseboard and then the battens.
|Top board and baseboard up. Ready for battens.|
The battens were all different lengths – each one just by a little bit off from the one next to it – because the top board was level, but the baseboard was not – due to the unlevel floor. So we had to measure each one where we wanted it and then cut it to length.
Once we got everything up, I primed the walls and b&b and then painted the top part of the walls Accessible Biege by Sherwin Williams and painted the b&b Pure White also by Sherwin Williams. I used an eggshell finish for the top of the walls and a semi gloss for the b&b and trim. If I had to do it over again, I would still use the same paint, but I think I would have primed and painted everything before we installed it, and then just done touch ups when it was all installed. I think that would have saved a lot of time and stress. One of the bloggers that I found that did a b&b tutorial actually said that is one thing she would do differently next time and I DIDN’T LISTEN to her wisdom!! I should have! It takes a long time to paint all of the details of the b&b treatment. And, when you use semigloss paint, it gets a little tricky – especially with the second coat. I think it would have been much easier to paint the battens and mouldings on a flat/horizontal surface so that the paint wouldn’t have run so bad. I had to be very careful and put the second coat of paint on very thin.
Here is the finished product!
|And a before and after shot of the toilet area. What a huge difference!|
Oh, and one last thing…if you plan on painting trim and/or board and batten, check out this post. It helped me a lot!